Here are the best animal-safe cleaners to keep your home safe and fresh for both kids and pets!
Any pet owner knows that pets bring lots of love, snuggles, and companionship to your home.
But… they also come with a lot of stinky pet odors.
Whether it’s the occasional accident or lingering pet smells, finding a safe and effective carpet deodorizer is a top priority!
The problem is, pet odors can stem from various sources, including accidents, dander, and general pet smells. These odors can be particularly challenging to remove from your carpet because the carpet is so porous. Odors seep deep into the fibers.
Traditional air fresheners and cleaners might mask the smells temporarily, but for a long-term solution, a dedicated pet-friendly carpet odor eliminator is required.
And you’re in luck! In this blog post, we’ll explore the best pet-friendly carpet odor eliminators that are not only effective but also safe for both pets and kids.
Are commercial carpet deodorizers safe for pets?
Traditional carpet deodorizers can vary in terms of their safety for pets.
Some commercial carpet deodorizers might contain harsh chemicals, fragrances, and ingredients that can be harmful to pets if ingested or if they come into contact with their skin.
It’s so important to carefully read the labels and consider the ingredients before using any carpet deodorizer in a home with pets – or your children!
Here are some of the chemicals to watch out for:
- Sodium Hypochlorite – Also known as bleach, sodium hypochlorite is a strong disinfectant and cleaner, but it can cause irritation to pets’ skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. Ingesting even small amounts of bleach can lead to stomach upset, drooling, and severe internal damage.
- Ammonia – Found in many glass and window cleaners, ammonia can be extremely irritating to pets’ respiratory systems and can cause vomiting, coughing, and eye irritation.
- Phenols – Phenolic compounds are often found in disinfectants and can cause serious health issues in pets. They can lead to difficulty breathing, liver damage, and nervous system disorders if ingested or inhaled.
- Formaldehyde – Present in some air fresheners and cleaners, formaldehyde is a known carcinogen that can irritate pets’ skin, eyes, and respiratory systems.
- Perchloroethylene (Perc) – This solvent is used in some carpet and upholstery cleaners and can cause lethargy, loss of appetite, and vomiting if pets come into contact with it.
- Phthalates – Phthalates are found in many scented products, including air fresheners and some cleaners. But they have been linked to hormonal disruptions in pets and can negatively impact their health.
- Chlorine – Chlorine is present in many cleaning products, and its fumes can irritate pets’ respiratory systems and cause vomiting, diarrhea, and skin irritation if they come into contact with it.
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) – VOCs are released by many cleaning products and can have negative effects on indoor air quality. Prolonged exposure to VOCs can lead to respiratory problems and other health issues for your pets.
- Petroleum Solvents – Found in some spot removers and cleaners, petroleum solvents can be harmful if ingested or if they come into contact with your pets’ skin.
As you can about imagine, these chemicals are not so good for kids either.
It’s important to note that even if a product does not contain these harsh chemicals, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s completely safe for pets.
Some products might contain fragrances or other ingredients that can still cause irritation or allergies in pets. And ‘fragrances’ are considered a trade secret. Companies don’t have to disclose what ingredients are in their fragrances. So, who knows what’s lurking in there!
Always read a product’s label carefully and choose products that are specifically labeled as safe for pets or non-toxic.
And when cleaning your home, consider using pet-safe and natural alternatives whenever possible.
How to pick a pet-safe carpet deodorizer
There should be a database full of cleaners, just like there is for personal care products! But I wasn’t able to find a specific website or platform that universally evaluates and provides safety information for all cleaning products, including their safety for pets.
However, there are some resources and strategies you can use to gather information about the safety of carpet deodorizers and cleaning products:
1. Always start by reading the product label and packaging
Look for products labeled as non-toxic, hypoallergenic, and safe for pets and children. These labels indicate that the manufacturer has taken precautions to ensure the product is not harmful to pets when used as directed.
Look for products that use non-toxic and natural ingredients, as well, to ensure no harmful chemicals are released into your home. Pay close attention to any products that have fragrances listed in the ingredients, to ensure the fragrance is from natural plant sources.
Also look for enzymes, all-natural oils, plant-based extracts, and essential oils. Natural ingredients are generally safe for both pets and children.
2. Visit the manufacturer’s website
Many manufacturers provide detailed information about their products on their websites. Look for sections that discuss product safety, ingredients, and any certifications or endorsements related to pet and environmental safety.
3. Read customer reviews
Websites often include customer reviews and feedback. While individual experiences can vary, these reviews might provide insights into whether other pet owners have had positive or negative experiences with a particular product.
4. Use Facebook groups
Facebook groups dedicated to pets and pet care might have discussions about specific cleaning products and their safety for animals. Other pet owners might share their experiences and recommendations.
5. Review environmental and pet safety organizations
Organizations like the Environmental Working Group (EWG) and the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) often provide information and resources related to household product safety, including for pets.
6. Choose pet-focused brands
Some brands specialize in pet-safe products and have a reputation for producing effective and non-toxic cleaning solutions.
7. Talk to your vet
If you’re uncertain about the safety of a specific cleaning product, your veterinarian can help. They have knowledge of pet sensitivities and potential risks associated with various substances.
While there might not be a website that evaluates the safety of all cleaning products for pets, utilizing a combination of the above resources can help you make informed decisions about the products you use in your home.
Some other things to consider, when looking for pet-safe products:
- Effectiveness – A cleaner or carpet deodorizer should effectively neutralize and eliminate odors rather than just masking them. It should target the source of the odor and leave your carpets smelling fresh and clean.
- Ease of use – The product should be easy to apply.
- Long-lasting – You want it to smell good for a long time!
- Environmentally friendly – Opt for products that have minimal impact on the environment. Eco-friendly options are a responsible choice for both your home and the planet.
It seems like a lot, I know! But when it comes to the safety of your furry friends – and your children! – I’m sure you’re willing to put in the time.
Besides, the more you do it, the better you’ll get. 😉
The best pet-safe carpet deodorizer
Drum roll, please!!
Here’s the moment you’ve been waiting for!
The best carpet deodorizer, safe for your pets and children!
1. Baking Soda
Yep, you read that right!
Baking soda is a natural odor remover and carpet deodorizer.
Just keep in mind, baking soda won’t clean up pet accidents or pet stains, though.
To use baking soda, generously sprinkle it all over your carpet. Brush the baking soda in with a clean broom, to get it deep down into your carpet fibers.
Let the baking soda sit overnight, and then vacuum it up the next day.
Repeat, if necessary.
2. Odor Absorber
An even better option? Our Odor Absorber!
Odor Absorber is the perfect carpet deodorizer for carpets, rugs, and fabric couches. You can even use it for biological accidents of any kind.
All-natural, non-toxic Odor Absorber creates a fresh and fragrant environment by eliminating odors at their source. It will not harm your vacuum, and it even works in bagless vacuums.
The all-natural non-toxic ingredients effectively remove odors caused by:
- Urine, including cat urine
- Smoke & ashtrays
- Chemical odors in carpets
- All bacterial decompositions
And so much more!
Just sprinkle it on your carpets or carpet, the same as you would baking soda. Let it sit overnight, and then vacuum it up!
3. The Angry Orange Pet Odor Eliminator
If you are looking for a spray, The Angry Orange Pet Odor Eliminator is your best bet.
You can use it on carpets and upholstery. It’s made from all-natural ingredients, including real oranges and real orange peels.
Just spray on the stinky surface and let it sit. All done!
Remember to always check the product labels, ingredients, and directions for use. Even with all-natural products, it’s a good practice to test on a small, inconspicuous area of your carpet before applying the carpet deodorizer more widely, especially if your pets have sensitivities.
The best safe cleaning products for pets
Okay, so we covered the best carpet deodorizers. But what if you need to clean up a stain? Or a mess?
No worries! Here are the best all-natural cleaning brands that are safe for your pets and kiddos:
- Healthy Planet Products
- Earth Rated
- Boulder Clean
- Seventh Generation
- Nature’s Miracle
- Rocco & Roxie
- Better Life
- Skout’s Honor
Before purchasing any products, it’s a good idea to read the labels, ingredients, and customer reviews to ensure that they meet your specific needs and preferences.
How do you deodorize a carpet?
It’s easy! Grab your vacuum cleaner and your Odor Absorber and let’s go!
1. First, remove any toys or household items from the floor.
2. Then, before deodorizing, it’s important to thoroughly vacuum the carpet to remove dirt, debris, and any loose particles that could contribute to odors.
3. Liberally sprinkle the Odor Absorber over the entire affected area.
4. Allow the Odor Absorber to sit on the carpet for at least 15 minutes, or overnight if possible. This gives the Odor Absorber time to absorb odors.
7. Vacuum thoroughly to remove the carpet deodorizer and any absorbed odors.
8. If the odors persist, you can repeat the process a second time.
Vacuuming your carpet with Odor Absorber is a simple and effective way to ensure your house stays odor-free and smells fresh!
Additional home and carpet cleaning tips for pet owners
Keeping a clean and fresh home when you have pets requires a bit of extra effort, but it’s definitely achievable with the right strategies.
Here are some home and carpet cleaning tips for pet owners:
🐶 Regular Grooming
Regular grooming for your pets can help minimize shedding and dander, which contribute to odors and messes.
🐶 Use Pet-Friendly Furniture Covers
Consider using washable furniture covers to protect your upholstery from pet hair, dirt, and stains.
🐶 Wipe Paws and Fur
After walks or outdoor playtime, make it a habit to wipe your pets’ paws and fur before they come inside.
🐶 Set Up Pet-Friendly Zones
Designate specific areas in your home for your pets’ activities, such as eating, playing, and resting. This can help contain messes and make cleaning easier.
🐶 Invest in Washable Rugs
If you use rugs in pet-frequented areas, opt for machine-washable rugs. This way, you can easily clean up any accidents or spills without worry.
🐶 Vacuum Regularly
Vacuuming is essential to keep pet hair and dander under control.
🐶 Use Enzymatic Cleaners
When accidents happen, use enzymatic cleaners specifically designed to break down organic stains and odors. These cleaners can help eliminate stains and smells and prevent pets from being attracted to the same spot again.
🐶 Clean Litter Boxes and Pet Areas
If you have cats, keep the litter box clean and scoop out cat litter daily.
🐶 Regularly Wash Pet Bedding
Wash your pets’ bedding and blankets frequently to keep their sleeping areas clean and fresh.
🐶 Maintain Outdoor Spaces
If you have outdoor pets, regularly clean up your yard to minimize dirt and messes they might track indoors.
🐶 Trim Nails
Keeping your pets’ nails trimmed can help prevent scratches on furniture and carpets.
🐶 Professional Cleaning
Consider scheduling professional carpet cleaning at least once or twice a year.
🐶 Be Preventive
Train your pets to follow house rules and provide ample opportunities for outdoor breaks to prevent accidents indoors.
After the dust settles…
Living with pets doesn’t mean you have to settle for a stinky house!
With our all-natural Odor Absorber, you can confidently bid farewell to pet odors and enjoy a clean, fresh home for both your furry friends and your family!
Before you go…
Stop by our shop and check out all of our all-natural, non-toxic cleaning products! They are safe for your pets and your kiddos!!